The most creative and innovative use of a used Wine barrel is repurposing or upcycling it to make furniture or a part of the furniture. All these furniture’s are handcrafted so in a sense they are unique no one piece can be an exact replica of another piece. These projects can be undertaken by you as a hobby or you can buy them from professionals like Balazas of the Hungarian Workshop.
Why a Wine barrel is used?
A wine barrel is a great source of recycled oak wood. Oak wood is good for making furniture due to its versatile nature and durability. They look Stylish, Homey, and Antique that’s greatly reflected in the resultant furniture’s, as well.
It’s also good for the environment as you are repurposing the already used oak wood. The old wine barrel can be disassembled into pieces which are then used to create gorgeous furnitures.
Things to remember
- The sourced wine barrel needs to be sturdy and in good condition.
- The chosen barrels should be clean and without any deformities like holes.
- The barrel should be cleaned and dried completely post
- They need to be stained and varnished completely to preserve their beauty.
- You should always buy from a respected dealer and only old oak barrels should be bought.
A few of the furniture ideas that can be made at home or bought are listed below
- Tables – It’s one of the easiest use of a wine barrel. You can use single or multiple barrels depending on the project you want to do. They can be cut in half or used in full or in parts to make different types and sizes of tables. They can be used as table legs for a Dining table, or they could be used to make side tables, coffee tables with or without storage, etc.
- Chairs – Your Table can be complimented with a chair made from wine barrels. They are known to grab the attention of your guests, so they are a great conversation starter. The chairs that can be made are rocking chairs, Adirondack, a bench, a cask armchair, A chair can be made by cutting a wine barrel as per the chair specification and shape or by disassembled pieces to make one from scratch.
- Storage cabinets– A wine barrel can be converted into an excellent Storage Cabinet. Its size can be achieved by cutting a wine barrel as per the requirement. A wine barrel can be cut in half or a part if its exterior can be cut and then attached using hinges and fitting circular or semi-circular boards on the inside to create sections.
- Lazy Susan– A circular attachment to the center of the table that can be rotated is known as Lazy Susan.
- Wine Rack or Holder – A wine barrel can be used to create a Wine Rack of various designs. You can use the entire barrel or halves or simply a part of it depending on the number of bottles you wanted to store.
- Chandelier’s and light fixtures
- Bar furniture’s – Bar Tables, Stools can be constructed using a wine barrel.
- Coolers – A Wine Barrel Cooler is, a decorative as well as a functional piece of your interiors. Wine Barrels make good Coolers, they can also be made as Cooler and Table combinations.
A Wine Barrel can be repurposed into multiple elements whether it’s furniture or simply a decorative addition. The only limit is your imagination and a number of efforts you want to put in. It’s better to buy these from Professionals since the process is time-consuming and the piece you will buy will be unique and could be a patented design.
This article has been written by Henry Bosco. A wonderful assortment of various types and designs of Wine Barrel furniture’s are offered by The Hungarian Workshop. They are the masters of their craft and each piece handcrafted by them is unique with inherent rustic charm. You can see all of their collection or order a piece online, by visiting their website.